Wyoming, like many US states, has recently updated its online gaming laws. New legislation introduced in 2021 legalized internet sports betting, allowing popular online sportsbooks to enter the state.
The WY lawmakers have implemented various regulations to keep new gambling sites 100% legal and safe. You can read the reviews on our site to find a legitimate sportsbook in the state.
The recent launch of online gaming in the state means many Wyomingites may not know how these sites work. Read the rest of our review for a rundown on this new industry and how to find secure options.
Types of Legal Online Gambling in Wyoming
Online sportsbooks and daily fantasy sports are the only legal online gaming options in Wyoming.
Wyoming just recently legalized online sports betting in 2021. The first internet sportsbooks in the state launched at the beginning of September. The Wyoming Gaming Commission is in charge of licensing and regulating these sites.
The Wyoming Gaming Commission is required to issue “not less than five” sports betting licenses. Is has issued six licenses to date, but there’s always the possibility more could launch. Wyoming ranks dead last in terms of population among US states, so it’s a small market.
Online sportsbooks live in WY are:
- Barstool Sportsbook
- BetMGM Sportsbook
- Caesars Sportsbook
- DraftKings Sportsbook
- FanDuel Sportsbook
- PointsBet Sportsbook (* future Fanatics Sportsbook)
- Big first bet insurance
- Best promotions
- Great mobile app
- Famous brand
- Quality mobile app
- Variety of betting options
Online casinos were not included in the 2021 gaming law update and are still illegal in Wyoming. However, Wyomingites can still enjoy free games at online social casinos.
Daily Fantasy Sports
Like many other US states, WY has not addressed the legality of DFS sites so far. The state does not regulate this type of gaming, but players are not banned from making these bets, either.
As long as you are at least 18, you can enjoy DFS in this state. Options for Wyomingites include DraftKings and FanDuel.
Online poker is still illegal in WY, as lawmakers did not include it in 2021 legislation. The state may decide to legalize this type of gaming in the future, but players will have to wait and see.
Why Choose a Legal Wyoming Online Gaming Site?
You should choose a legal online gaming site in the state because of the following benefits:
- Regulation: Licensed WY gaming sites are held to strict standards to protect players, which is often not the case with offshore gaming sites. You are more likely to be scammed if you use unlicensed sites.
- Fairness: The Wyoming Gaming Commission ensures that the sites it licenses have fair and accurate odds. This way, you know that you will have a fun time betting on sports without experiencing any shady practices. Plus, it holds the sportsbooks accountable if they break any rules.
- Responsible Gaming: Legal online gaming sites take care to protect customers from problem behavior with various tools. Plus, the state provides helpful programs to promote responsible gaming and help those struggling with addiction. Offshore sportsbooks are not required to protect players in this way.
- Community Benefits: Wyoming requires online sportsbooks to pay a 10% revenue tax, and this money helps boost the state’s economy. When you use an offshore betting site instead, you are not benefitting WY in any way.
How to Know If a Wyoming Online Gambling Site Is Legal, Regulated, and Safe
To identify a legal WY online gaming site, look for the following signs:
- License: Regulated sportsbooks in the state will display their license information. At the bottom of the page, look for mention of the Wyoming Gaming Commission in the footer text or an image of the authority’s seal.
- US Headquarters: Legal WY betting sites will have a headquarters in the United States. You can find these details with a quick Google search. Offshore companies will not have the same player protections, and they can be dangerous.
- Legal Jurisdictions: Legitimate online gaming sites have a list of the states they operate in. This way, players operate within the law. Some sportsbooks may have different websites for different areas, while others list this information in the terms and conditions.
- Recognizable Name: Wyoming only licenses trusted gaming sites, and most of them are well-known. If you do not recognize the name of a sportsbook, check out our reviews to determine if it is safe.
- Customer Support: WY sportsbooks will provide fast and reliable customer support to build trust with players. It is a red flag if a site does not have contact information readily available or respond in a reasonable timeframe.
- Fair Terms and Conditions: The Wyoming Gaming Commission ensures that these sites follow reasonable practices that are 100% fair. Read through the terms and conditions, as some offshore sites try to hide unfair practices from naïve players who do not bother with this step.
Important Information When Choosing an Online Gambling Site in Wyoming
Because Wyoming regulates these sites for fair practices, many factors such as safety and security are similar from sportsbook to sportsbook. However, value and usability can vary widely. Thus, you should consider the elements we discuss below.
Top gaming sites boost the value for new players by providing a welcome package. These offers allow you to explore the sportsbook and start your experience on the right foot. Common bonuses include risk-free bets and deposit matches.
Remember, finding the best welcome package is not only about the bonus value. Wyomingites should also consider whether the wagering requirements are reasonable.
It is also important to see what other promotions a Wyoming sportsbook offers when it comes to overall value. This practice ensures you will continue to receive rewards if you continue using the site. Common bonuses include free bets, parlay boosts, and parlay insurance.
You may also find special promos for popular events, such as the World Series and Super Bowl. To find out what bonuses a sportsbook offers, check out our reviews as well as the promotions page on the actual site.
Loyalty programs are another indicator of site value. Typically, sportsbooks offer these rewards to all players.
These programs grant points as you place bets, which help increase your tier and are exchangeable for various prizes. The rewards get better and better as you climb the ranks. You can receive many different gifts through this system, such as free bets and bonus cash.
Most online gaming sites these days offer mobile versions for on-the-go gamers to improve usability. This way, you can conveniently access your account and place wagers. Whether the sportsbook has an app or mobile-optimized site, make sure the site runs smoothly, is user-friendly, and offers all the same desktop features.
Another crucial factor of a site’s usability is what sporting events they offer. You should always check the main page to see what sports you can bet on. It is also important to consider what bet types a sportsbook has and how easy it is to view the odds.
Wyomingites should also check out the live betting. Some sites will offer more events in this section than others. Plus, the best options will also live stream games.
Gaming Regulator Information
The Wyoming Gaming Commission is responsible for regulating WY online gaming sites. Using sites licensed by this authority provides many benefits, including:
- Legitimacy: Playing at WY licensed sites ensures that all the practices are legal and fair. The Wyoming Gaming Commission monitors these sportsbooks to ensure they list accurate odds. Plus, these sites have more financial stability than offshore options, which means you always receive your payouts.
- Accountability: The authority holds online gaming sites in the state accountable for their actions. If a player has an issue they cannot resolve with the sportsbook, they can visit the Wyoming Gaming Commission’s website to file a complaint.
- Responsible Gaming: The state partners with online sportsbooks to promote responsible gaming through various tools and programs. It also protects players through advertising restrictions.
- Community Benefits: Wyoming ensures that licensed sportsbooks pay taxes to help support the state’s economy. When Wyomingites use these sites instead of offshore alternatives, they benefit their community and help fund responsible gaming programs.
History of Online Gambling Legislation
Online gaming is a new industry in Wyoming. The state’s first advancement did not come until the state legalized sports betting in 2021 with the passing of HB133 in April.
These updates are recent because legal gambling itself is relatively new to WY. The state had no casinos of any kind until a few tribal casinos were allowed to open in 2006. The state did not even have a lottery until 2014.
Thus, it is not too surprising that the online gaming industry took so long to launch in the state. Wyomingites will have to wait and see if WY makes more updates to the legislation in the future.
Responsible Gaming Resources in Wyoming
The Wyoming Gaming Commission expects state-licensed sites to provide adequate responsible gaming resources. This way, players are less likely to develop an addiction and have access to professional help. Regulated sites will:
- Ensure players are at least 18 years old
- Provide limiting tools to prevent problem behavior
- Allow players to self-exclude
- Prevent players on the state-wide self-exclusion list from using their sportsbook
- Pay taxes to benefit the community
- Provide information about Wyoming and national gaming support programs
WY licensed sites pay a 10% tax to give back to the community. This requirement helps promote responsible gaming because the revenue helps fund state programs. The state lottery already contributes a significant amount of money to the economy, and sportsbooks are sure to follow suit.
Gambling Limit Tools
Online gaming is entertaining, but it can also be addictive for some people. Wyoming sportsbooks provide various tools to prevent this issue, including:
- Wager Limits: With this tool, players can restrict how much money they can spend per sports bet.
- Self-Exclusion: WY sportsbooks allow players to lock themselves out of their accounts. Typically, players can choose to self-exclude for weeks, months, or even years.
- Time Limits: These tools let players limit how much time they can spend on the site at a time.
- Deposit Limits: Players can restrict how much money they can put into their account at a time.
Responsible Gambling Resources
Gaming addiction is a risk for any WY player. The Wyoming Gaming Commission works to prevent this problem by connecting citizens with helpful resources, such as:
- Wyoming Council on Problem Gambling: This state program provides help for problem gamblers and their loved ones, communities, and employers. You can reach them at 1-800-522-4700 and 1-307-227-0509.
- National Council on Problem Gambling: This national organization promotes treatment plans and educates the public on gaming addiction.
- Responsible Gambling Council: This organization has over 35 years of experience and works to minimize gambling risks. It also has a special site section for young adults struggling with this addiction.
- Gamblers Anonymous – You can find support groups and meetings in Wyoming on the GA website.
Land-based Gambling Available in Wyoming
All of Wyoming’s land-based gambling locations are tribal casinos. There are three different options where you can play various casino games. There are no physical sportsbooks in the state, as sports betting is fully mobile there.
Below we have listed all the tribal casinos available in WY:
- Little Wind Casino: 800 Blue Sky Hwy, Ethete, WY 82520 / (307) 438-7000
- Wind River Hotel & Casino: 180 Red Wolf Place, Riverton, WY 82501 / (307) 856-3964
- 789 Smoke Shop & Casino: 180 Red Wolf Place, Riverton, WY 82501 / (307) 857-9451
Is online gambling legal in Wyoming?
Online sports betting and DFS are legal in WY. However, online casinos and poker rooms are not.
What types of online gambling are legal in Wyoming?
Online sports betting is legal in WY. While the law does not explicitly state DFS is allowed, it does not ban it, either. Thus, Wyomingites can enjoy this type of gaming as well. No other forms of online gaming are legal, however.
Can I use my Wyoming online gaming accounts in other states?
Many online sportsbooks let you access your account from any US state. Typically, you will be able to make deposits and withdrawals. However, you cannot place wagers from outside WY.
I am traveling to Wyoming. Can I set up my account before I arrive?
Yes, you can set up your account before you arrive. We recommend depositing money beforehand so that you are ready to go as soon as you enter Wyoming. You will not be able to place wagers until you cross the state’s border.
Can I play on Wyoming online gambling sites if I am just visiting the state?
Yes, you can play on Wyoming gaming sites without being a resident. Geolocation technology only requires you to be in the state while placing sports wagers.
What is the legal online gambling age in Wyoming?
The minimum online gaming age in WY is 18.