Oklahoma has various types of gambling activities within the state. There are over a hundred different gaming establishments, many of which are located in brick-and-mortar locations. Unfortunately, the only legal online platforms in the state are in the form of daily fantasy sports (DFS).
Online sports betting is illegal in Oklahoma as are online casino games and online poker. This review provides detailed information about online gambling with the goal of helping to ensure Oklahoma residents have a safe experience as they play in the Sooner State.
In 2023, lawmakers introduced a bill to allow the state’s tribal casinos to offer mobile and in-person sports betting. HB 1027 passed the House, but the Senate refused to take action and the legislation died. Senate opposition centered on concerns that further negotiations were needed between the tribes and Governor Kevin Stitt.
The Status of Legal Online Gambling in Oklahoma
Even though Oklahoma has land-based gambling facilities, online gambling in the state is illegal. However, some lawmakers are working toward legalizing online gambling in the state. Currently, the state has more than 60 tribal casinos. However, the state does not have a regulated online casino industry. This lack of regulation means people in the state do not have safe legal access to online gambling.
Currently, Oklahoma residents can only bet on horse races at the various land-based facilities located in the state. All other forms of sports betting in the state are strictly prohibited. Lawmakers would need to pass legislation to authorize online sports betting before it could begin.
Currently, Oklahoma does not have a regulated online gambling industry, as the tribes do not want to compete with them. As a result, there are no real money online casinos in Oklahoma. Some state lawmakers are interested in changing the status quo.
Oklahoma laws prohibit online poker in any form. Though there are plenty of local poker rooms at tribal casinos throughout the state, online poker has yet to be made legal. But, poker advocates are trying to get a law passed to change that.
Two bills that allowed Oklahomans to register for DFS were shelved in 2016 due to opposition from tribal interests. The major DFS companies operate in the state based on the assumption that their contests are skill-based and not illegal. As a result, they are not restricted in Oklahoma.
Although Oklahoma has not made a legal ruling regarding legal fantasy sports, players can still participate in popular contests operators such as DraftKings and FanDuel.
Legal vs. Illegal Online Sports Betting
Illegal gambling can change depending on the laws of the states. States have laws that prohibit certain types of gambling activities. On the other hand, the federal government has regulations that prevent certain gambling activities from being conducted in the US. This includes online games that operate outside the country at offshore sites. There are no state licensed online gaming sites in the Sooner State.
Legal online sports betting sites will be licensed and regulated by a state gaming body. They will ensure fairness to players in terms of payouts, odds set, and terms and conditions of bonuses and promotions. They will also make sure security measures are in place to protect the personal and financial information of the player and to curb underage gambling.
A legal site will also have responsible gambling tools available to players and information for problem gambling services in the state.
Participating in illegal gambling can also result in federal or state charges.
Illegal Online Gaming Offered in Oklahoma
Online gambling has started to become 100% legal and safe in some states, which has led to sports betting companies advertising more in the US, even though gambling activity is not legal in all states, there is not much regulation for these ads.
Illegal sites will try to lure in players from Oklahoma considering online sports betting, poker, and casino betting is not legal. It is important for players in Oklahoma to know the pitfalls of playing at an illegal gaming site, as there are plenty of them.
Why Offshore Betting Sites are Unsafe
While an offshore betting site may be licensed that does not mean it is safe to play at. Some sites look promising to make money online but are not worth the risk. The site’s main goal is to get users to continuously bet by giving them small wins but then causing them to lose big. In addition, offshore sites can charge ridiculous fees due to the lack of regulation.
Another thing these sites have been known to do is close your account if they think you are winning too much. This will cause you to lose the money you deposited into the site and the money you won. Additionally, it is possible for the platform to seize the money in your account or cancel your winning bets. Since these sites do not have a regulatory board to hold them responsible meaning if they do not payout there is not much you can do.
Offshore sports betting sites are often not as secure as licensed ones. Also, they do not have the same obligation to protect your information. These sites are known to sell the personal data of their users to third parties. This could be as simple as sending an email or providing a credit card number. With your personal information in the hands of third parties, you are more vulnerable to identity theft.
When you sign up for an offshore sports betting site, they may sell your information to third parties. Even if the site doesn’t sell off your information, it is still at risk of getting hacked. Even if the company has the proper security measures, it still has little protection against unauthorized access.
At illegal online casinos, no organizations are testing the games to ensure they are fair. So, that means your chances of winning are significantly decreased. Another thing that can happen is misleading promotional offers; the site will say you can get a generous deal. But then when you try to claim you will have to deposit a large sum of money and then fulfill a wagering requirement that is unattainable.
Moreover, one of the best things legal sites do is provide resources for players with a gambling problem. The website wants users to keep making bets even if the players are displaying problem behavior. The sites operate in tax havens so money generated does not benefit the community.
If you are a victim of an illegal gambling site, there’s no way to get legal protection. They operate in tax havens located in different countries. If you were cheated out of money by an offshore site, the only solution is to write a negative review.
How to Know a Sports Betting Site is Legal, Regulated, and Safe
With so many online gambling sites out there, choosing the right one can be challenging. However, there are plenty of reasons why you should play at a safe and legal online gaming site:
- Check USGamingReview.com: The easiest way to tell if a site is legal is to look it up on USGamingReview.com. It provides honest reviews and news on the gambling industry in the US.
- State Regulator: A legal site will have a license from a regulatory board or commission. The platform will also display a seal at the bottom of the page or app. You will also see the description of the rules and laws that follow.
- Cryptocurrency: Due to gambling laws in the US any site that accepts crypto is illegal. So, if a site uses this currency it is best to avoid it.
- US Players Welcome: If a site advertises US players welcome you should avoid it. Legal sites are state licensed and regulated and only accept wagers from players that are within the state’s borders.
- Site Domain: The platform you bet on should end in .com to be legal and safe. Another way to tell if a site is safe is if the name is recognizable, and you should be able to research the company quickly. When researching a site to gamble on, you should not struggle to learn anything about the gambling platform. If information about the company is not available, it is a sign that it is illegitimate.
Why Choose a Legal US Sports Betting Site?
Online gambling has become a popular activity for many people. Unfortunately, many legitimate and illegitimate sites have been launched as the demand for them has grown. There are plenty of reasons people choose a legal online gambling site. But, many people have real concerns about the safety of online gambling. Though there are several things to consider when selecting a legal platform, we strongly recommend staying away from offshore gaming sites.
- Fairness – A gambling platform with a license from a regulatory body must follow strict rules that ensure the site is fair to users. These regulations allow for players to have an opportunity to win the bets and games they play. At the same time, illegal platforms don’t have these regulations in place.
- Protection – When a site has a license, it follows laws to keep a player’s financial and personal information safe. This is important since players need to enter banking and personal data to gamble online. So to ensure your details don’t end up in the wrong hands it is vital to bet at a legal site.
- Accountability – Legal sites get held accountable for any wrongdoing or mistakes that they make. If the platform doesn’t fix its issue it will lose its status as a legal site and legal action can be taken against the owners. The state gambling body will handle disputes between an online gaming site and a player.
- Responsible Gaming – Legitimate online casinos offer players tools to keep track of how much they’re gambling. Some of these options include limiting your deposits, losses, and the amount of time you use the site. In addition, the platform will also provide resources to join a self-exclusion list. Legitimate sites will also have information on how players can get in touch with problem gambling services.
- Community Benefits – Along with the other benefits we mentioned, legal Oklahoma betting sites would contribute to helping the local community through tax revenue. The state’s money from these platforms helps fund critical services for senior citizens, Oklahoma public schools, state parks, and tourism programs. Additionally, the retail gambling industry has generated over $3 billion in Oklahoma alone.
The legalization of retail gambling in the Sooner State has created more than 75,000 jobs, increased tourism, and provided funding for state programs. For example, Oklahoma collected $191.5 million in exclusivity fees from tribal operators in FY 2022, and 88% of that went to education reform. So, if online gambling is legalized in Oklahoma, it could generate significant economic activity.
Responsible Gaming Resources in Oklahoma
It is the responsibility of the gambling platform and regulatory authority to develop options for players to game responsibly. These measures are designed to prevent problem gambling and keep gaming fun and casual. Some of the tools include:
- Set an age limit and verify that the player is 18 years old.
- Provide limits to prevent players from gambling too much or spending too much money.
- A timeout tool to help prevent problem behavior.
- The choice to join a self-exclusion list that prevents players from gambling.
- Providing support to community schools, law enforcement, and government programs.
- Following strict safety and privacy regulations.
Problem Gambling Resources
A legal site should help players recognize when they might have a gambling problem and connect them with resources that can help. Players can find help through one of the following ways:
- Screening Tools: There are various tools online to help people identify if they have a gambling problem. The BBGS and the NORC Diagnostic Screen are options based on the DSM5 to evaluate gaming activity.
- The National Problem Gambling Helpline: This helpline serves individuals suffering from problem gambling. Players can reach them by calling or texting 1-800-522-4700 to get in touch with them. There is also a chat feature at ncpgambling.org/chat.
- Self-Help Resources: Organizations like Gamblers Anonymous, Gam-Anon, and GamTalk are support groups for gamblers who have a problem with the activity. They have several meetings across the country, including several located in Oklahoma and online support forums.
- Oklahoma Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services: This government service provides various health and addiction services to people with problem gambling.
- Oklahoma Association on Problem Gambling and Gaming: This non-profit provides assistance and resources for responsible gambling within the state. You can visit oapgg.org for assistance or call the helpline at 1-800-522-4700.
- Self-exclusion: There are various self-exclusion lists for gambling platforms nationally and in Oklahoma. By filling out a form, you can easily add yourself to one of the lists to self-exclude yourself from playing at the site for a specific amount of time.
Gaming Regulator Information
Oklahoma does not regulate online gambling platforms. However, if the laws change, then a gaming regulator will set the standards for safe and secure online gaming, which includes:
- Ensures Legitimacy, Fairness, Legality, Financial Stability of The Operators: The goal of the gaming regulator is to ensure that gaming operators follow the rules and regulations in their respective fields of operation. The rules and regulations set by the regulators ensure that the site is fair to its players in the games and wagers offered, and there are reasonable terms and conditions.
- Provides Accountability (Dispute Resolution): It is also essential for these regulators to facilitate customer complaints about a platform by allowing you to submit a written dispute through their site.
- Requires Safety Measures and Responsible Gaming: The operator must also offer all the necessary documents for approval from the regulatory gaming body. It must also have a security plan to ensure the safety of its operations. Additionally, the regulator requires the site to offer its users tools and resources to help them gamble responsibly.
- Ensures That Some of The Profits Benefit The Community: A gaming regulator taxes the revenue from gambling providers. This money the state government gains from it is used to improve the community. These funds go towards a property tax relief fund, the state’s general fund, a fund for assisting compulsive gamblers, and a portion of funds go to the local area.
History of Online Gambling Legislation
Oklahoma has many land-based gambling establishments that are open to residents who are 18 and older. However, online gambling is not regulated in the state. Oklahoma accepts land-based gambling on various forms of games, such as slots, table games, and bingo.
However, it does not have regulations for online casino gambling, online sports betting, and online poker. Here is a brief overview of the various online gambling laws in Oklahoma.
Oklahoma Gambling Timeline
The Sooner State’s legalized gambling history spans over one hundred years:
- 1916: Oklahoma enacted a ban on gambling. This ban would stay in place for almost a century before the state started loosening its gambling regulations.
- 1982: The first legal horse race betting started in the state. The establishment of several racetracks followed this.
- 1987: Oklahoma began allowing legal bingo games, and many other types of gambling were permitted on tribal lands.
- 1992: The Oklahoma Charitable Games Act of 1992 allowed for various types of raffles and pull tabs.
- 2004: Electronic games such as video slots and table games were allowed at tribal casinos.
- 2005: The Oklahoma Lottery grows to include interstate games.
- 2020: Gov. Kevin Stitt and two tribes agree to amended gaming compacts to allow sports betting on tribal land, but the state’s attorney general calling the changes illegal. Lawmakers sue and a court rules against the amended compacts.
- 2023: A bill to authorize sports betting passes the House, but the Senate doesn’t take action and the legislation dies.
Is online gambling legal in Oklahoma?
No, Oklahoma does not permit residents to gamble online using real money. DFS sites are allowed, but there are no legal online poker rooms, casinos, or sportsbooks.
Since online gambling is not legal in Oklahoma, is choosing an illegal offshore site safe?
No, an illegal site doesn’t have a license which means it doesn’t have to follow strict regulations to keep players safe. So it is essential that you join a legal site.
What are the risks of playing at an illegal offshore online sports betting site?
You risk having your personal information leaked to third parties or bad actors by playing at an illegal site. Additionally, they may offer unfair conditions on bets. An offshore site may also have slow payouts to encourage players to keep betting and eventually lose their money or may simply close an account of a winning player. Also, player funds at offshore sites can also be seized while in transit by a government authority.
Can I bet at legal US sportsbooks using cryptocurrencies?
No. There are no legal US betting sites that accept cryptocurrencies.
Where can I get the latest news about online sports betting in Oklahoma?
You can find the latest news about online sports betting in Oklahoma by checking out USGamingReview.com/news/