Like many states across the US, Rhode Island has made significant changes to its gambling laws in recent years. Rhodians can now legally gamble on mobile sports apps. This change allowed several top-notch sportsbooks to expand into the state.
RI gambling regulators have implemented frameworks to ensure these sites are 100% legal and safe. You can use our trustworthy reviews to find a legitimate RI sportsbook.
You may not know how these gaming sites work since online gaming only recently launched. Read on for a thorough explanation of the state’s new industry and how to identify a secure and legal sportsbook.
Types of Online Gambling Allowed in Rhode Island
Sports betting and Daily Fantasy Sports are the only forms of legal online gambling in RI.
Rhode Island legalized sports betting in 2018. After this change, the two physical casinos in the state launched retail sportsbooks. Then, in 2019, lawmakers expanded the previous bill to include online betting.
Later in 2019, the first mobile sportsbook launched in the state. Players must complete registration in person to confirm that they are at least 18 years old. Sports betting is regulated by the Rhode Island Lottery and currently the only online operator is William Hill.An app will soon launch so that Rhodians can register remotely.
Online casinos were not included in the recent legislation and remain illegal in the state. You can play casino games through social and sweepstakes casinos.
You can also visit Rhode Island’s two physical casinos to enjoy slots, roulette, and more in person. Hopefully, these establishments will be allowed to expand to offer online casinos in the near future.
Daily Fantasy Sports
For a while, there was some confusion over whether Daily Fantasy Sports was allowed in Rhode Island. The Attorney General addressed this issue in 2016, declaring this type of gambling was legal in the state.
He suggested the introduction of regulatory legislation to protect Rhodians, but so far, lawmakers have not done this. Providers in the state include:
- Monkey Knife Fight
Online poker was not included in the recent legislation and is still illegal in Rhode Island. Fans of this type of gaming will have to wait to see if the state pushes for its legalization in the future.
Why Choose a Legal Rhode Island Online Gaming Site?
There are several reasons you should choose a legal RI online gaming site, including:
- Safety: Licenced RI gaming sites are regulated and held to strict standards. Thus, you know that these sites are 100% legal and safe. Offshore options often are unregulated, so they can scam you much easier.
- Fairness: Strict regulation of legal sites in the state also means that they are regularly checked for fairness. The odds are tested to ensure accuracy, and they are held accountable if regulations in place are not followed. On the other hand, illegal offshore sportsbooks can get away with unfair practices.
- Responsible Gaming: Legal RI gaming sites ensure that Rhodians are gaming responsibly. Unlike offshore options, these sportsbooks and DFS sites offer various site settings to help fight problem gambling. Plus, citizens have access to state-sponsored resources.
- Community Benefits: Online gaming benefits RI both by creating jobs and increasing tax revenue. Sportsbooks pay a 51% revenue tax, contributing to the state’s economy. Rhode Island can then use this money for improvements to the community.
How to Know If a Rhode Island Online Gambling Site Is Legal, Regulated, and Safe
Rhode Island’s only online sportsbook is through the Rhode Island Lottery, and DFS is unregulated. However, if new betting sites enter the state in the future, look for these signs to ensure they are regulated and safe:
- License: Regulated sites will let Rhodians know that they have a license from the Division of Gaming and Athletics. Look for this information in the footer text at the bottom of the homepage.
- Customer Service: Rhode Island sportsbooks will want to build trust with their players. Thus, they will offer several ways for you to contact them about any questions you may have. Licensed sites will answer quickly and reliably, so make sure to check out other players’ reviews of these services.
- Physical Casino Partner: Most online sportsbooks partner with a retail casino. Scroll to the bottom of the page and look for a mention of one of Rhode Island’s two casinos: Bally’s Twin River Lincoln or Bally’s Tiverton.
- List of Legal Jurisdictions: Any legal gaming site will list the states it operates in. This way, you access the correct version of the site and play within Rhode Island’s laws. Make sure you select the RI when registering so that the geolocation plugin allows you to access your account.
- US Headquarters: Sites regulated by the RI Division of Gaming and Athletics will be located in the US. Sites that are based overseas may operate without a license. This factor means they can operate illegally and may not take the appropriate measures to protect players.
- Reputable Name: Any sportsbook or DFS site Rhode Island chooses to license in the future will have a trustworthy reputation. Look for top operators that are well-known throughout the US. If you do not recognize the name, make sure to read our reviews about its legitimacy.
Crucial Information When Choosing an Online Gambling Site in Rhode Island
The best Rhode Island gambling sites offer a wide range of betting options while providing an enjoyable online experience. Two crucial factors to consider are the available bonuses and the usability of the site. When choosing an online DFS site in RI, consider the following factors:
Top gaming sites attract new players through welcome offers. These promotions allow you to explore what they have to offer. Typically, the welcome packages at DFS sites and online sportsbooks are deposit matches or free bets.
When considering the welcome package, make sure to check out the wagering requirements. Top sites offer reasonable obligations that do not make withdrawing your winnings too difficult.
The best gaming sites also have a wide variety of promotions. This way, existing customers receive frequent rewards to keep them coming back for more. Before choosing a site, visit the promo page and evaluate the value of the bonuses.
Common promotion types include free contest entries, refer-a-friend offers, reload bonuses, bet insurance and free bets. We review all the bonuses a site has to make your decision easier, so make sure to check out our articles when picking a Rhode Island gaming site.
Reward programs also indicate the value you get from a site. Many DFS sites and online sportsbooks grant players points as they bet on the site. The more points you earn, the better rewards you receive. Prizes can include contest tickets, site cash, exclusive bonuses and more. When choosing a Rhode Island gaming site, check when you can start earning points and what benefits are available.
Rhode Island recently approved sportsbook apps, which will soon launch in the state. This update allows you to access your account on your mobile device. Top gaming sites have optimized apps that run smoothly. Some sites may not offer an app but allow you to bet from your mobile device browser.
When looking for mobile gaming, make sure you can deposit, withdraw, make bets, and take advantage of promotions just like on the desktop site. To see what mobile gaming options are available, visit the site beforehand.
A crucial aspect of site usability is sports selection. When looking for a RI sportsbook or DFS site, visit the homepage to determine what events are offered. The best options will prominently display the odds and bet types.
You should also consider if the sportsbook has a live betting section. This feature allows you to bet on an event as it is happening. Some sites even offer live streaming, so you can watch a match or game live and wager on it as well.
Gaming Regulator Information
The Division of Gaming and Athletics licenses and regulates gambling in Rhode Island. This authority provides many benefits to players in the state, including:
- Ensure Fairness and Legitimacy: This authority ensures that sportsbooks in the state follow the law. It makes sure that these operators offer fair odds, follow industry standards, and have enough financial stability to provide player payouts.
- Provide Accountability: The Division of Gaming and Athletics holds operators accountable when players have disputes with a sportsbook. It ensures that gaming sites follow the rules and regulations and protects players from shady practices.
- Uphold Responsible Gaming: This authority also ensures that online sportsbooks provide tools to promote responsible gaming and information on where people that may have a gambling problem can get help.
- Benefits the Community: The Division of Gaming and Athletics makes sure that Rhode Island online sportsbooks pay the required tax percentage. Some of this revenue is used to benefit local communities within the state.
History of Online Gambling Legislation
Online gambling is relatively new to Rhode Island. The first advancement in legislation came in 2016 when the Attorney General announced that DFS sites are legal according to existing gaming laws. He then recommended that lawmakers pass regulations on this form of gaming to protect Rhodians. However, this regulation has not happened yet.
In 2018 S2045 was passed authorizing licensed sports betting and in 2019 S37 passed to allow mobile sports wagering.
Mobile betting in the state previously required in-person registration at one of two retail casinos. In 2020, lawmakers updated the legislation to allow for fully mobile sports betting so that Rhodians could sign up entirely online. Online casinos and poker rooms remain illegal in the state.
Responsible Gaming Resources in Rhode Island
Licensed gambling sites in RI are expected to offer responsible gaming resources. This way, players can enjoy their experience while knowing they have the tools to protect themselves from gambling addiction. Regulated sites within the state should:
- Ensure all players are at least 18 years old
- Offer self-exclusion options so Rhodians can take breaks when necessary
- Allow players to set betting limits
- Provide players with information on available state help programs
- Never accept players who are on the state’s self-exclusion list
- Give back to the community by creating jobs and raising tax revenue
- Use up to date technology to keep your data safe
Part of promoting responsible gaming is giving back to the community. Physical casinos have contributed significantly to Rhode Island’s tax revenue and employment, and online sports betting will do the same.
Gaming taxes have contributed a substantial amount of money to Rhode Island. These taxes go towards the state’s general funds, which are used for various programs that improve education, public safety, and healthcare. The recently-legalized sports betting will pay a 51% tax on revenue, giving RI even more income.
Gambling Limit Tools
Online gaming is undoubtedly entertaining, but it can also be addicting. Rhode Island sportsbooks and DFS sites employ various measures to prevent problem gaming. Available tools include:
- Self-Exclusion: This tool lets you lock yourself out of your account for a specified amount of time. Additionally, you can request to be added to the state-wide exclusion list, which is distributed to all gaming operators.
- Deposit Limits: You can set a maximum amount on how much you are allowed to fund your account at a time.
- Contest Entry Limits: With this tool, you can restrict how many contests you can enter at a time or set a maximum entry fee for yourself.
- Wagering Limits: You can use this tool to prevent yourself from spending too much on one bet.
- Time Limits: This tool restricts how much time you can spend on a gaming site per session.
Responsible Gambling Resources
Gambling addiction can potentially affect any Rhode Island player. Thus, the Division of Gaming and Athletics regulates online gaming sites to make sure they provide information about the state’s help programs.
Some problem gambling programs for Rhodians include:
- Rhode Island Council on Problem Gambling (RICPG): This non-profit organization provides research, education, and treatment for problem gamblers. It also offers services for their families and the community. Phone number 1-800-522-4700 chat ncpgambling.org/chat
- Problem Gambling Services (PGS): This program assists problem gamblers with finding treatment options throughout the state.
- Rhode Island Problem Gambling Helpline: This helpline is available 24/7 to help problem gamblers. Trained, multilingual staff members run it. The helpline is: 1-877-GAMBLE or 1-877-942-6253.
Land-Based Gambling Available in Rhode Island
Rhode Island has two land-based casinos, both of which offer sports betting as well. Bally’s Twin River Lincoln has a full sportsbook, while Bally’s Tiverton has a sportsbook kiosk.
Both of these casinos have several popular casino games for players to enjoy. Below, we have listed the information for both locations:
- Bally’s Twin River Lincoln: 100 Twin River Rd, Lincoln, RI 02865 / (401) 723-3200
- Bally’s Tiverton: 777 Tiverton Casino Blvd, Tiverton, RI 02878 / (401) 816-6000
Is online gambling legal in Rhode Island?
Yes, online sports betting and DFS betting are legal in Rhode Island.
What types of online gambling are legal in Rhode Island?
Only online sportsbooks and DFS sites are legal. Internet casinos and poker rooms, on the other hand, are not.
Can I use my Rhode Island online gaming accounts in other states?
You can access your account to withdraw funds from other states, but you can not place any bets outside Rhode Island.
I am traveling to Rhode Island. Can I set up my account before I arrive?
You can start the registration process before you arrive, but you will need to complete registration in person at one of Rhode Island’s retail casinos. However, once the new sportsbook app is created, you will fully sign up online.
Can I play on Rhode Island online gambling sites if I am just visiting the state?
Yes, anyone can play on a Rhode Island online gambling site as long as they are currently within the state borders. If you are not a resident of the state, you will not be able to place bets at the RI site once you return home.
What is the minimum online gambling age in Rhode Island?
You need to be at least 18 years old to gamble online in RI. During registration, you will provide your date of birth and SSN to verify this information.