In the last few years, decisions have been made to change the approach to online gambling in New Hampshire. New legislation means that people in the state can now bet online. Several well-known operators now run sites in the state offering different online gambling activities.
Although the state had previously opposed online gambling, once the decision was made, lawmakers also took action to put in place regulations and measures to keep all sites 100% legal and safe. Through our reviews, you can find information about licensed and trustworthy operators.
Significant changes in online gambling are happening across the US, and New Hampshire is a part of that. This comprehensive guide will keep you up to date on the growing online gambling industry in the Granite State. Read on for tips on how to recognize a secure and legitimate site.
Types of Legal Online Gambling in New Hampshire
New Hampshire has two types of legal online gambling — online sports betting and daily fantasy sports (DFS).
A bill from June 2019 made sports betting legal in New Hampshire. It was signed into law the next month. The law requires participants to be within state lines and the minimum age for betting is 18 years old.
DraftKings has an exclusive partnership with the New Hampshire Lottery, so it holds a monopoly with online sports betting in the state.
- Famous brand
- Quality mobile app
- Variety of betting options
Gambling at an online casino is illegal in New Hampshire. Casino gambling in the state does not have a strong presence, as there are very few physical locations to play; until the wider view on this alters, it is unlikely that online casino games will be legalized anytime in the near future.
In 2023, lawmakers in the state Senate passed a bill that would have authorized online casino gaming and poker. The bill was sent to the House but died in committee — House lawmakers were concerned that online casino gaming would negatively impact charitable gaming in the state.
Daily Fantasy Sports
Daily fantasy sports (DFS) became legal in 2017 when HB 580 was signed into law. The DFS sites already operating in the state continued their services but with added protection for players. Players in New Hampshire can access:
- OwnersBox Fantasy Sports
- Underdog Sports
- Yahoo Fantasy Sports
Online poker is illegal in New Hampshire. A bill that would have authorized online poker (and casino gaming) passed the Senate in 2023 but died in a House committee.
Why Choose a Legal New Hampshire Online Gaming Site?
Deciding to play at a legal New Hampshire site has several advantages against an unlicensed offshore operator. When a site is legal, it works with regulators and meets the standards they set out, which include measures to project customers. On the other hand, offshore sites usually do not meet the same requirements or standards.
- Licensed: To obtain a license, an operator must demonstrate that they will be fair, financially stable, and run a well-organized site. As a player, choosing a legal site means you get a proper structure, is safe and secure to play, and know that the operator can legally operate in the state, which means you can focus on the fun. Online gaming sites in New Hampshire are licensed and regulated by the New Hampshire Lottery Commission
- Regulated: Once a site is licensed, it is overseen by regulators who check the operator’s procedures. It means transparent terms and conditions, not using misleading promotions, and separation of company and player funds for financial protection.
- Responsible gambling: Another side of consumer protection that is set by regulators and carried out by operators is responsible gambling. It involves tools, information, and access to support services to prevent problem gambling and to keep activities casual and enjoyable.
- Community benefits: Legal and licensed sportsbooks are registered with the state, which means that they pay regular and specific gambling taxes. Those funds go toward community projects and often education to benefit local people. The creation of operations within a state also boosts the local economy through jobs.
How to Know If a New Hampshire Online Gambling Site Is Legal, Regulated, and Safe
Finding a legal and safe site in New Hampshire is easier when you know the signs of a trustworthy operator:
- Gambling Regulator License: An operator will display information about its license on its website. You can check the footer for a seal or text mentioning the New Hampshire Lottery Commission.
- Legal Jurisdictions: While sites that operate in multiple locations might have a license, it is essential to check the jurisdiction. The website footer will specifically mention a license and regulation in New Hampshire.
- Physical Casino Partner – New Hampshire is like most other states where online sports betting is legal where the sites will have to be partnered with a land-based casino. In NH DraftKings is partnered with the Filotimo Casino and Restaurant.
- US Headquarters: A legal DFS or sportsbook will have a US base, as it pays taxes and follows the law. Most unlicensed sites operate offshores to avoid detection and prosecution.
- Customer Service Options: Legitimate operators intend to run their sites for a long time. As a part of that, they are interested in growing a base of loyal customers and serving their needs. For that to be achieved, a site will need to provide multiple options for contact and customer service, so live chat, a phone number, and a contact form are good signs.
- Reputable Name: To run a successful operation and achieve financial stability, a company needs to have worked hard to earn its place in the industry. It takes years and time working with state authorities to build a reputation, which means a name you know is one you can trust. If you have not heard of a brand, check for a review on our site to see if it is legal.
- Fair Terms and Conditions: A slick website and some promotions and sports bets available are not enough to demonstrate a legal operation. Transparent and reasonable terms and conditions are one of the clearest signs of a safe operator, as it means they are meeting certain standards and looking out for their customers.
Important Information When Choosing an Online Gambling Site in New Hampshire
Although DraftKings has a monopoly in New Hampshire when it comes to sports betting, there are still choices to be made between daily fantasy sports (DFS) sites. Once you have determined an operator is legal, there are two other considerations that will significantly impact your playing experience. They are user experience and value; these five factors can help you evaluate both.
The site should find ways to give you extra value from the moment you register. A welcome bonus is an ideal way to do that, but you need to look for offers that tick more than one box. A generous amount is appreciated, but just as important are the opportunities to use the reward. The wagering requirements, expiry date, and ease of withdrawal will all tell you whether a bonus delivers value. Typically, for a welcome bonus there is a free bet or bets or a match deposit.
After you have enjoyed the welcome bonus, the value should keep coming through regular promotions. These will be updated regularly, suit your playing style, and should apply to different activities across the site. Like welcome packages, the amount is critical, but so are the terms and conditions.
The types of offers you will see most frequently include competitions for cash prizes, opportunities to win merchandise, parlay insurance, leaderboards, reload bonuses, cashback, and free bets. The best sites deliver tailored offers that match the different ways you use the site or encourage you to explore a new aspect. They could focus on a specific sport, league, or event, which means there are new ones to find throughout the year.
A loyalty or VIP program is the top way for a site to deliver value and user experience in one package. Rewards points give you recognition just for completing your normal playing activity, which makes them excellent in terms of value.
Most programs have tiers; as you earn points that move you up through those levels, you get bonuses and perks. Those benefits improve your overall experience by giving you faster withdrawals, dedicated support, or events to attend in person. The points can usually be redeemed for other prizes, including exclusive bonus offers, site credit, or merchandise.
Access is a deciding factor for user experience. It needs to be smooth, fast, and convenient for you. You can look out for operators that provide a quality mobile experience, as it means you are able to use your account from different mobile devices and while you are on the move.
Whether it is through a mobile browser or a dedicated app, you should get the same features on your mobile device as you do on your desktop. A visit to a mobile site or app can help you check whether it meets your needs. Besides speed and ease of use, you can look for payment options, access to promotions and rewards, and how the main content can be found and displayed.
A sportsbook or DFS site is only as good as the entertaining content that it offers. Fantastic value and user experience are reliant on having quality core content. That means a range of teams and sports included, as well as different bet types and markets for sportsbooks.
The main menu should guide you to find what you are looking for, plus let you browse for something new. Discovering fresh aspects, like a new tournament, in-play betting, statistics, and betting tips, is an essential part of your enjoyment of the site.
Gaming Regulator Information
The New Hampshire Lottery Commission (NHLC) regulates online sports betting and daily fantasy sports in the state. It has combined with the Racing Commission to oversee all gambling activity in NH. Its primary activities include:
- Ensuring fairness: There are several rules set out by the NHLC to promote fairness, including requiring sites to identify experienced DFS players, not having misleading promotional materials, and reasonable bonus terms and conditions.
- Accountable: The NHLC ensures that operators put the proper measures in place to allow customers to communicate with them and make a complaint if necessary. It can also act to enforce rules and resolve disputes.
- Implementing player protection: There are several forms of player protection that the NHLC oversees. They include preventing minors from accessing gambling sites, providing responsible gambling tools, giving players gambling addiction services information, and ensuring that player funds are protected and kept separate from company accounts.
- Directing some gambling profits to the community: The New Hampshire Lottery Commission works to ensure that gambling taxes and shared revenue is directed to community projects. In NH, the main focus is education, and significant proportions go to state schools and other kinds of educational aid.
History of Online Gambling Legislation
New Hampshire online gambling legislation history starts in 2017 with the bill to legalize daily fantasy sports (DFS). Before that, DFS sites had already been operating, and advance deposit wagering for horse racing was already occurring. However, there has not been any legislation clarifying that position.
In July 2017, the bill that legalized DFS brought additional customer protections, as sites need to register with the NHLC, identify experienced players, and prevent contests with collegiate or youth sports.
Legislation regarding sports betting followed in 2019. By July of that year, retail and online sports betting was legal — with the potential for five online operations. But the next year, the NHLC clinched an agreement with DraftKings where the operator was given a monopoly on sports betting in exchange for 50% of retail and 51% of online revenue.
Responsible Gaming Resources in New Hampshire
Responsible gaming resources are part of the activities required of operators by the NHLC. They aim to prevent the harmful aspects of problem gambling, and instead, keep it fun, casual, and enjoyable. A regulated site should:
- Have measures in place to ensure that they only accept players over the age of 18
- Give users tools to control how much they deposit and wager\
- Provide an option for players to take a break for short or long periods
- Check self-exclusion lists in order to prevent access to listed users
- Contribute to community projects through taxes
- Provide responsible gaming resources
- Protect user data through appropriate security measures
Due to its deals with the New Hampshire Lottery Commission, DraftKings is the only online sportsbook in the state. As part of the deal, it has agreed to give 51% of its revenue to the state. The money, alongside regular taxes, will go to the General Fund and will be used for various projects.
As with proceeds from the New Hampshire Lottery, education will be the main target. Funds are given to state schools and used for financial aid for students in the state. Money also goes towards the gambling support organizations in the state.
Gambling Limit Tools
Although gambling is fun, it can be addictive and, when it becomes a problem, can cause harm to players and their families. To prevent that, responsible gambling measures are put in place. They include tools such as:
- Deposit Limits: This user control allows you to set a maximum amount on how much you deposit.
- Time Alerts: These notifications alert the user to how long they have been betting to track their activity
- Bet Limits: Another user control, this time it sets a maximum amount for how much can be wagered.
- Time Limits: A time limit can be used to prevent access to the account for a short period.
- Self-Exclusions: A longer-term solution to a time limit, self-exclusion means blocking access to gambling sites for weeks, months, a year, several years, or for life.
Responsible Gambling Resources
User controls can keep gambling fun and casual, but if problem gambling is already an issue, then support is available to prevent further harm. Online gambling sites provide information and signpost users towards the appropriate resources so that they can get help.
Problem gambling support organizations in New Hampshire include:
- New Hampshire Council on Problem Gambling: This NH organization provides information, support, treatment, and conducts research. It has a helpline: (603) 724-1605.
- New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services: The state offers support and treatment as general addiction services, which includes problem gambling advice.
- National Problem Gambling Helpline (NPGH): The NPGH website provides a helpline on 1-800-522-4700, information on its website, and a chat service
- Gamblers Anonymous: This self-help organization operates across the US, including New Hampshire. The GA website features listings of the local New Hampshire meetings.
Land-based Gambling Available in New Hampshire
There are no commercial casinos in New Hampshire. However, small stakes bingo and poker games are allowed, as are charitable casino gambling activities. The result is several casino venues, which combine food or other entertainment with casino nights and table games. Locations include:
- Lakes Region Casino: 1265 Laconia Road, Belmont, NH 03220
- Northwoods Casino: 155 Emery Street, Berlin, NH 03570
- Concord Casino: 67 S Main Street, Concord, NH 03301
- Conway Poker Room: 234 White Mountain Highway, Conway, NH 03818
- Dover Poker Room: 887 B Central Avenue, Dover, NH 03820
- Aces & Eights Casino: 169 Ocean Blvd, Hampton, NH 03842
- Ocean Gaming at Hampton Beach: 81 Ocean Boulevard, 2nd Floor, Hampton, NH 03842
- Keene Casino: 216 West Street, Keene, NH 03431
- Wonder Casino: 172 Emerald Street, Suite 101, Keene, NH 03431
- Lebanon Poker Room & Casino: 45 Hanover Street, Lebanon, NH 03766
- Filotimo: 1279 South Willow Street, Manchester, NH 03103
- Boston Billiard Club & Casino: 55 Northeastern Boulevard, Nashua, NH 03062
- The American Social Club: 166 Daniel Webster Highway, Nashua, NH 03061
- The River Casino & Sports Bar: 53 High Street, Nashua, NH 03060
- Speakeasy Casino: 78 Wakefield Street, Rochester, NH 03866
- Chasers Poker Room: 7 Veterans Memorial Parkway, Salem, NH 03079
- The Brook: 319 New Zealand, Seabrook, NH 03874
Is online gambling legal in New Hampshire?
Yes, daily fantasy sports and online sports betting are legal in New Hampshire. You can also purchase lottery tickets and bet on horse racing online. However, online casinos gambling and online poker are illegal.
What types of online gambling are legal in New Hampshire?
You can access online gambling sites or apps for horse racing bets, sportsbooks, and daily fantasy sports.
Can I use my New Hampshire online gaming accounts in other states?
You will not be able to place a bet using your account if you are outside New Hampshire. However, you can access your account to view odds and promotions and to deposit and withdraw.
I’m traveling to New Hampshire. Can I set up my account before I arrive?
Yes, you can sign up to DraftKings or your chosen DFS site before visiting NH. We recommend registering before you travel as it saves time and avoids hassle. Signing up in advance means you will have all your personal information and identity documents on hand.
These details are required as part of identity verification when you create your account, so being prepared will allow you to start enjoying yourself from the moment you arrive.
Can I play on New Hampshire online gambling sites if I am just visiting the state?
Yes, it is not a requirement to be a state resident to use an NH sportsbook or DFS site. Anyone over the age of 18 can create an account and can use it when they visit. Keep in mind that you will need to go back to the state to participate or place bets.
What is the minimum age to gamble online in New Hampshire?
You need to be 18 or over to gamble online in New Hampshire. Operators take measures to prevent minors from accessing online gambling sites. You will need to tick a box at registration confirming that you are 18 or older. You will also need to provide your date of birth.
Finally, this piece of information will be verified by asking for the last four digits of your Social Security Number. The details are compared to the ones you provided to check your age. You might also be required to upload a copy of your government ID.