Like many other US states, Connecticut has recently made changes to its gambling legislation. People in the Constitution State can now place sports and casino wagers online at some of the biggest names in the industry, and it is 100% legal and safe.
The Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection (DCP) authorized the full online launch of online gaming sites in the state on October 19, 2021 This action followed a successful soft launch at the beginning of the month.
Since then, several operators have opened in the state, which you can find out more about on our website. Our reviews focus on secure sites for Connecticut players.
Read the rest of our article to determine which gaming activities are legal in the state and why a legit site should be a priority. Plus, discover licensed operators, how to recognize them, and what to expect when betting in the Nutmeg state.
Types of Legal Online Gambling in Connecticut
Online sports betting, casino games, and Daily Fantasy Sports (DFS) are legal in Connecticut.
Connecticut online sports betting launched in October 2021. Sports fans were thrilled to finally see this development in week seven of the NFL season.
The new law allowed Connecticut Lottery Corporation, the Mohegan Tribe, and the Mashantucket Pequot Tribe to offer online wagering through their online partners: Rush Street Interactive, FanDuel, and DraftKings.
The licenses also allow for retail sportsbooks. The first of these opened on September 30th. Up to 14 more will launch soon.
The Connecticut lottery also partnered with SugarHouse. This sportsbook casino is popular in NJ but currently only offers sports betting in Connecticut.
Connecticut online casino gambling also launched in October 2021. FanDuel and DraftKings both have casinos in the state. The department approved more than 130 games of Consumer Protection for these apps.
Currently, these are the only two online casinos that have launched in the state. However, it is possible Sugarhouse will eventually expand its services in Connecticut.
Daily Fantasy Sports
DFS became legal in Connecticut in October of 2017. However, the state recently made a new law requiring fantasy sports operators to reach an agreement with the state lottery or one of its two sanctioned tribes.
This development led to Yahoo’s withdrawal from this market. However, the Nutmeg state gave DraftKings and FanDuel special permission to continue their DFS operations since they already have deals with the Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Nation and Mohegan Tribe.
Whether other operators will partner with the Connecticut lottery or decide to pull out of the state like Yahoo remains undetermined at the moment.
The same bill that legalized sports betting in Connecticut also allowed for online poker. However, there are still some obstacles the state needs to overcome. The Lottery is not permitted to have online casino games, so Sugarhouse cannot offer poker games.
DraftKings and Fanduel could potentially host live dealer versions and video poker through their online casinos. However, online poker rooms are another matter.
Most likely, PokerStars will eventually launch in CT. Flutter Entertainment owns this brand and Fanduel, so it could potentially launch this online poker room as part of its deal with the Mohegan Tribe.
DraftKings, on the other hand, does not offer online poker at this time. It has made a bid to purchase gaming giant Entain, though. If it is successful, DraftKings could potentially offer poker to Connecticut players in the future.
Why Choose a Legal Connecticut Online Gaming Site?
Choosing a legal and safe CT gaming site rather than an unregulated offshore option has many advantages, including:
- Peace of Mind: When you go with a legal Connecticut site, you know your gaming is within the law. You will not have to worry about whether you could get into trouble with the CT government over your actions, which brings more comfort to your online gaming experience.
- Fair Policies and Procedures: Licensed CT sportsbooks and casinos are more likely to have ethical practices than offshore options. Connecticut casinos and sportsbooks have correct odds and fair games, and they reward players with lucrative promotions and loyalty programs. Plus, they protect your data. On the other hand, offshore sites may not have strict regulations. They can scam you by following unfair procedures.
- Responsible Gaming: Legal CT operators protect their players from gaming addiction, such as tools like self-exclusion and information on how to contact professional help.
- State Benefits: When you access their online casinos and sportsbooks, you are helping the Connecticut community. These sites pay state taxes, which go towards balancing the budget, annual city and town grants, and funding problem gaming programs.
How to Know If a Connecticut Online Gambling Site Is Legal, Regulated, and Safe
If you found an online sportsbook or casino and want to ensure it is legal and regulated, look for the signs discussed below:
Check the casino or sportsbook’s site for a mention of the partner. In CT, it will either be a tribe or the Lottery. It may also have a retail partner, such as the Foxwoods Casino or Mohegan Sun, but this is not necessarily required.
Gaming Regulator Seal
A gaming site licensed by the Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection should display this information on its website. Check the footer for an official seal or text mentioning the governing authority.
Legit casinos and sportsbooks earn solid reputations. You should recognize the name—if you do not do some research. Look for a review or article about the company on our site. If you cannot find one, you may want to avoid registering there.
Legal gaming sites will always disclose what jurisdictions they operate in. Look for casinos and sportsbooks that tell you they are legal in Connecticut. Some operators may have separate sites based on location, often seen on a dropdown menu. If this information is not available, it is a red flag.
Not every CT licensed gaming operator will offer a rewards program, but not having one can be a red flag. Most illegal offshore sites do not have one, while the majority of legal sites do, especially if they have been in operation for a significant amount of time.
Every Connecticut casino or sportsbook will have a US headquarters. That is not the case for offshore gaming sites, which is why they should be avoided.
A secure operator will provide avenues to contact them if you have issues because they want to keep you happy. Look for a support email, live chat, phone number.
Important Information When Choosing an Online Gambling Site in Connecticut
For a gaming site in Connecticut to be worth your while, it needs to provide the best value and usability. These areas are key because other factors are the same across the board.
Every CT licensed casino and sportsbook will offer a secure, legal site with trusted banking methods and a responsible gaming section. The top options will stand out from the rest because of their value and usability.
Online Welcome Bonuses
The best sites welcome new players with boosted value through welcome bonuses. Welcome bonuses come in many forms, such as deposit matches, free bets, and bet insurance. Typically you claim them by registering, funding your account, and placing your first sports or casino bet.
The bonus helps you explore what the site has to offer. However, you want to ensure you do not have to change your usual gaming habits just to claim the offer, so make sure to check the terms and conditions. Good casinos and sportsbooks have low wagering requirements that do not overshadow the value or make withdrawing winnings impossible.
A lucrative welcome bonus is a fantastic start, but you want to choose a gaming site that continuously boosts the value with promotions for existing players. Look for places that have a long list of offers.
For example, many Connecticut sites offer odds boosts, tournaments, bet insurance, free spins, reload bonuses, profit boosts, and bonuses for special events. If you want to know more about a specific casino or sportsbooks promotions, check out our dedicated review.
Rewards programs are another way for CT gaming sites to provide value to their customers. Most legitimate casinos and sportsbooks will have one and for most of them you are entered into it after registration.
Programs will differ from site to site, but the central concept stays the same. You receive points as you wager at the site. These points help you climb the ranks, which unlocks better perks. You then exchange them for various prizes. The higher your status, the better bonuses you receive.
When looking for a solid casino or sportsbook in the state, you want to ensure you receive the best usability from any device. The best sites offer an app or mobile-optimized site that runs smoothly on Android and iOS.
Scrolling through the app, placing sports bets, and playing casino games should be straightforward. Plus, you should have access to all the same features you would find on the desktop version. If you plan to enjoy gaming on the go, make sure the site you choose has a fast and refined mobile option. The site will either have an app or allow you to play directly from your mobile browser.
Game selection is another factor of a Connecticut gaming site’s usability. After all, you will not enjoy the experience without enough options to keep you interested. Sports fans should search for places with multiple bet types and several sports to bet on.
If you enjoy casino games, look for places that offer variety. The best options offer slots, table games, live casino, and more.
Gaming Regulator Information
The Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection (DCP) grants licenses and regulates operations for online gaming sites in the state. It ensures the following for all legal CT operators:
- Legitimacy: This authority authorizes legitimate casinos and sportsbooks in Connecticut. Any site with a license from them is legal and secure. The games are 100% fair, and the operators provide financial stability to ensure your money is in safe hands.
- Accountability: The DCP holds gaming sites accountable by providing dispute resolution. Players can visit the website to file a complaint, and they will help resolve it. The DCP can work with the company to correct illegal practices, bring enforcement actions, or penalize them.
- Responsible Gaming: The DCP provides resources for responsible gaming. Visit the website to learn about a free live chat service and problem gaming and treatment programs in the state.
- Truthfulness: This authority protects players by banning false or misleading advertising. It also forbids unfair or deceptive promotions, contests, or sweepstakes.
- Community Benefits: The DCP requires casinos and sportsbooks to pay taxes, and this revenue is used to benefit the community through annual grants and problem gaming programs. For example, 25% of a casino’s slot income goes to the state.
History of Online Gambling Legislation
In October of 2021, online sportsbooks, casinos, and DFS sites entered the Connecticut market. At the beginning of the month, online gaming started in the state with a seven-day soft launch.
It fully launched later in October after this successful trial run. Before this, only retail gaming was allowed in the state.
The history of gaming in CT goes as far back as the 1800s with harness racing. At the time, the events were completely unregulated. It was not until 1976 that licensed off-track betting started in the state.
Until the recent update in legislation, greyhound racing and Jai Alai wagers were only allowed at retail locations. Technically, horse racing is also legal, but no track has opened in Connecticut thus far.
Retail casinos were also available in CT before the new legislation. The Mashantucket Pequot Tribe opened the first one in 1992. Today, you can find two physical locations in the state: Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun. The government recently approved the building of a third casino, which is scheduled to open soon.
Responsible Gaming Resources in Connecticut
In partnership with its online and retail gaming providers, the state of Connecticut takes measures to promote responsible gaming. These efforts take many forms, including:
- Online chats and phone helplines that provide anonymous access to professional help
- Government-funded programs that help with prevention and recovery through out-patient services
- A state-wide exclusion list that allows players to ban themselves from gaming activities in CT voluntarily
- User controls like deposit limits and timeout options
Setting Gambling Limits
To practice safe gaming, you need to stick to a reasonable budget. You should never spend more money at a casino or sportsbook than you can afford. Following these limits on your own can be challenging, so CT online sites provide controls to help you:
- Deposit Limits: This tool restricts how much money you can add to your account at a time.
- Timeout Options: Timeout settings prevent you from logging in to your casino or sportsbook account.
- Contest Entry Restrictions: This tool lets you control how many contests you can enter and how much you can spend on entry fees.
- Alerts: The gaming site may notify you when it sees you displaying signs of problem gaming, such as entering too many contests at once.
- Self-Exclusion: Many sites allow you to exclude yourself from their services for a specified period or indefinitely.
Because it is well-known that gaming can be addictive, the DCP and its licensed operators work together to provide resources to help problem players. You can visit the DCP’s website to find a list of support organizations, including:
- Connecticut Council on Problem Gambling: This group provides online chat services to assist anyone who thinks they might be addicted. It also offers a toll-free number you can call anonymously to ask questions or receive clinical referrals.
- Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services: The DMHAS has a problem gaming program that provides a network of recovery services.
- Bettor Choice Programs: These gambling-specific treatment out-patient services are funded by the state and available throughout CT.
- National Problem Gambling Helpline: This US helpline is also available to any Connecticut player who has a gaming addiction.
- Gamblers Anonymous: This organization allows gambling addicts to come together and share their personal experiences while attempting to recover. You can find meetings in Connecticut by checking out the GA website.
- Gam-Anon: This self-help group provides an outlet for family members and close friends of gaming addicts.
Land-Based Gambling Available in CT
There are two land-based casinos in Connecticut. When online sports betting became legal in the state, so did retail sportsbooks. So far, only one has launched in the state, but the government has allowed up to 15, so more will open soon.
The physical locations you can visit in Connecticut include:
- Foxwoods Resort Casino: 350 Trolley Line Blvd, Ledyard, CT 06338, (860) 312-3000
- The Foxwoods Resort Casino offers three hotels, live entertainment, slots and table games, dining, sports betting, and more.
- Mohegan Sun Casino: 1 Mohegan Sun Blvd, Uncasville, CT 06382, (888) 226-7711
- This casino location has slots, table games, sports betting, dining, shopping, hotel rooms, and more.
- Sports Haven: 600 Long Wharf Dr, New Haven, CT 06511, (203) 946-3201
- Sports fans can place wagers in person at this retail sportsbook.
Is online gambling legal in Connecticut?
Yes, online gambling is legal in Connecticut. Nutmeggers can play casino games, bet on sports, and participate in DFS.
What types of online gambling are legal in Connecticut?
In Connecticut, you can play casino games, bet on sports, and enjoy DFS online. Online poker is technically legal as well, but no online rooms have been launched yet.
Can I use my Connecticut online gaming accounts in other states?
Most casinos and sportsbooks will allow you to access your CT account from other US states. You can check games and odds, make deposits and withdrawals, and also open an account.
However, you will not be able to place bets or play real money games unless that operator also has a license in that jurisdiction. Through geolocation technology, you have to be physically located in the state to make wagers.
I am traveling to Connecticut. Can I set up my account before I arrive?
Yes, you can sign up beforehand. We recommend doing this before traveling. That way, you will not have to waste time when you arrive or worry about locating your info or documents to verify your identity.
Once you enter CT, you will be able to deposit, take advantage of bonuses, and start exploring the site right away. If you are unsure how to register, check out our helpful guides that explain the process.
Can I play at Connecticut online gambling sites if I am just visiting the state?
Yes, you can. You do not have to be a state resident to use CT gaming sites. As long as you are located within the state’s boundaries, you will be able to play real money games or place sports wagers.
What is the minimum age to gamble online in Connecticut?
You need to be at least 21 years old to gamble online in CT. During registration, you will enter your date of birth. The verification process will then confirm this information.