Ohio recently joined the list of states that legalized online sports betting. Bill HB29 was signed by Governor Mike DeWine and the launch of legal online sports betting is expected to happen by January 1, 2023. However, online poker and online casino gambling are illegal in the Buckeye State. Daily fantasy sports (DFS) is 100% legal and safe in Ohio, which has some of the country’s strictest gambling laws and even sweepstakes casinos are illegal.
You can use our in-depth reviews to learn about Ohio’s legitimate sites, so read on as we look at this emerging gambling industry.
The Status of Legal Online Gambling in Ohio
Currently, players in Ohio can only legally play daily fantasy sports, but online sports betting is on schedule to launch by January 1, 2023.
Online Sports Betting in Ohio
Ohio Governor Mike DeWine signed Bill HB29 into law on December 21. 2021 legalizing online sports betting. The launch is expected to happen by January 1, 2023, with the Ohio Casino Control Commission tasked with licensing and regulating the sportsbooks.
Casinos, racinos, and Ohio professional sports teams will get preferential treatment for getting a license and if they can show they are economically viable they may receive two licenses. HB29 also states that sports bets can be made at lottery kiosks in the state.
Online Casinos in Ohio
Online casino gambling is not legal in Ohio. So players in Ohio will have to wait and see if the legalization of sports betting paves the way for licensed and regulated online casinos.
Online Poker in Ohio
Like online casinos, online poker is illegal in Ohio. Therefore, you will not find any poker sites licensed by the state. While offshore sites might offer online poker, they are unsafe and do not comply with the state’s gambling laws.
Fantasy Sports in Ohio
Ohio legalized daily fantasy sports in 2017. As a result, a handful of reputable sportsbooks have made their fantasy sports games available in Ohio. Currently, there are only three sites licensed by the state.
- Monkey Knife Fight
Legal vs. Illegal Online Sports Betting
Illegal gambling can vary depending on the laws of different states; some forms of gambling are prohibited in certain states. For instance, some states allow sports betting and casino services but ban poker. In addition, although some states allow the use of offshore gambling sites, others have regulations that bar the activities. Moreover, participating in an illegal gambling operation can still lead to federal or state charges.
A legal sports betting site will be licensed and regulated by the Ohio Casino Commission (CCC). They will ensure the sites have fair odds, security measures in place to protect players, and that bonuses and promotions have transparent terms and conditions.
An illegal gaming site will not have regulations in place and because of that are not held to the same standards that licensed and legal sites are. Illegal sites use unscrupulous business practices to try to scam people out of money.
Illegal Online Gaming Offered in Ohio
Due to the rise of online gambling, sports betting companies have started to advertise more in the US. Despite this, there aren’t strict regulations for these ads so that Ohio residents might see ads from illegal sites. Ohio is a very populous state, so there are many illegal sites that try to lure in players from the Buckeye State.
Players in the state have to be careful about playing on illegal sites, as they may not only lose money playing there but may also have to deal with legal ramifications.
Why Offshore Betting Sites are Unsafe
While an offshore betting site may have a license, by no means is it safe to play at. Unfortunately, many online gambling sites promise bettors the chance to win money but are not worth the risk. These platforms have slow payouts to get users to play more on the site causing them to lose their winnings.
Also, if the site thinks that you are winning too much it can close your account causing you to lose your funds. Additionally, player funds can be seized by a government authority.
Offshore sports betting sites have no obligation to protect the information of their users and can easily sell it to third parties. The risk of identity theft should be enough of a deterrent to keep Ohio sports bettors away from illegal offshore sites.
Another aspect of illegal betting sites is that it may not be fair. No one verifies that the generous bonuses and promotions listed in its ads are actually honored. They may also be misleading, canceled leaving bettors with no recourse. Moreover, the offshore sportsbook could decide to cancel any and all winning wagers preventing you from getting your funds.
Lastly, to get players to gamble more the site will not offer responsible gaming tools even if users are displaying problem behavior. The money the site makes does not go towards benefiting the community due. Moreover, if an offshore gambling site cheats you, there usually is no way to get legal help.
How to Know If an Ohio Online Gambling Site Is Legal, Regulated, and Safe
There are various points to consider when browsing Ohio online gambling sites. Since there are many offshore sites, it is essential to check for these indicators. Read on to learn how to spot a regulated and legal site.
- Check USGamingReview.com: The easiest way to tell is legal is to check this site for reviews. It also provides news about the state of online gambling in the US.
- State Regulator: The Casino Control Commission is Ohio’s gambling regulator. When online gambling sites like sportsbooks launch, the CCC will ensure they are licensed and regulated, and the regulator’s seal will appear on the legal sports betting sites.
- Cryptocurrency: Any site that accepts crypto is illegal in the US. So, it is best to avoid these sites and only go to those that accept traditional payment methods.
- US Players Welcome: If a betting site states that US players are welcome, it is likely an offshore site and illegal. Legal and regulated sites are licensed by the state and players must be physically located there to make wagers.
- Site Domain: Another way to tell if a site is legal is to look at the ending of the domain. Anything other than .com would be a site to stay away from. Additionally, it is best to stick to operators that you recognize. If you do not recognize a site, you should look up its name to check its reputation.
Why Choose a Legal Ohio Online Betting Site?
Choosing a legal regulated online sportsbook in Ohio offers players several benefits in the state. layers in Ohio have to be careful when choosing an online gambling site.
- Protection: Regulators in Ohio will always ensure that a site has industry-standard security features. The features will protect the financial and personal information of the player as well as curb underage gambling. Since offshore sites do not comply with these standards, their security is subpar. Therefore, it is vital to choose a licensed site in Ohio.
- Fair Policies: Fairness is an essential part of any legal gaming site. Ohio regulators will ensure operators offer reasonable terms and conditions before licensing them.
- Accountability: At a legal site, the regulator is there to hold the platform accountable if they do something wrong. This accountability also means that players can file complaints if they have any grievances with the site.
- Responsible Gambling: Regulators also ensure that gaming sites have responsible gaming tools. Gambling should be fun and safe for everyone; these tools help players avoid addiction. In addition, they help players have control over their betting behavior. Legal sites will also have information about gambling problem services.
- Community Benefits: One of the main justifications for legalizing sports betting is community benefits. Ohio operators will have to pay taxes to the state. This will help fund social welfare programs and infrastructure development. Betting at an offshore casino would not provide Ohio with any tax revenue.
Responsible Gaming Resources in Ohio
Regulated Ohio gaming sites are required to offer responsible gambling tools. These let players control their spending. Thanks to options like bet limits and self-exclusion, vulnerable players can still enjoy gambling for entertainment. Ohio-licensed sites need to:
- Ensure players are of legal age (21).
- Let players set bet limits
- Allow players to self-exclude and lock their accounts
- Provide contact information for Ohio’s problem gambling support resources
- Implement industry-standard security features
- Contribute to the community by paying taxes to the state
Gambling Limit Tools
Many gamblers are vulnerable to addiction. Responsible gambling tools are essential for keeping gambling entertaining for everyone. Regulators ensure that operators give players control over their funds and playtime through various features. Some of the key gambling limit tools include:
- Deposit Limits: Players can limit the maximum amount they can deposit.
- Bet Limits: Players can also set maximum bet amounts to avoid overspending.
- Time Limits: Time limits will prevent you from accessing the site for a period of time you select.
- Alerts: Alerts will pop up and remind you how long you have been playing.
- Self-Exclusions: You can lock your account for a set time, from one month to years, and even indefinitely.
Responsible Gambling Services
The Casino Control Commission (CCC) regulates gambling sites in Ohio to ensure they provide responsible gambling resources. Players at risk of gambling addiction can use these to receive support. Here are the primary support organizations in the Buckeye State.
- Ohio for Responsible Gambling: You can contact this initiative via phone at 800-589-9966. The organization consists of four state agencies and provides plenty of resources for problem gamblers.
- Ohio Voluntary Exclusion Program (OVEP): If you self-exclude from any site, it will add you to the OVEP. Licensed sites cannot accept players from this list.
- Ohio Casino Control Commission (CCC): The CCC website contains various responsible gambling resources. This includes a questionnaire to help you determine if you have a problem.
- Gamblers Anonymous: There are 48 Gamblers Anonymous meeting sites in Ohio. You can visit these to seek support from other problem gamblers. In addition, you can find local GA meetings on their website.
Gaming Regulator Information
In Ohio, licensed gaming sites are regulated by the Ohio Casino Control Commission (OCCC). While many forms of online gambling are still unregulated or illegal, the OCCC is still responsible for licensing daily fantasy sports sites and online sportsbooks when they launch.
Before a site can receive a license, it must be checked by the OCCC. The regulator ensures each operator is fair and legitimate. Licenses also prove that a site is financially stable and uses industry-standard security features. Additionally, regulated sites will have essential options like responsible gambling tools.
Licensed sites need to pay taxes to the state. This ensures that online gambling funds benefit local communities. Regulators are also responsible for solving disputes between players and operators.
History of Online Gambling Legislation
- 1933 — Horse racing legalized
- 1973 — Ohio Lottery is established
- 2009 — A constitutional amendment allowed for the creation of four physical casinos
- 2017 — Daily Fantasy Sports is legalized
- 2021 — Sports betting legalized
- 2023 — Retail and online and mobile sports betting will launch by January 1, 2023.
Is online gambling legal in Ohio?
Only fantasy sports are legal in Ohio, and sports betting was recently legalized and will launch by January 1, 2023. Online casino gambling and online poker are illegal.
What are the risks of playing at an illegal offshore online sports betting site?
If you play at an illegal site, you risk having your private information leaked. In addition, some sites might not give players their winnings. Winning players at offshore sports betting sites may have their accounts closed for no reason, and government authorities may seize player funds from payment processors.
Can I bet at legal US sportsbooks using cryptocurrencies?
No. There are no legal US sportsbooks that accept cryptocurrencies.
Where can I get the latest news about online sports betting in Ohio?
You can find the latest news about online sports betting in Ohio by checking out USGamingReview.com/news/.